Thursday, December 31, 2009

Stillness




Listen.
Listen to the heart.
Listen to the eternal.

Be still.

In stillness I can hear an ancient song, the song of the universe.
In stillness I remember who I am, a child of the universe, undying, eternal.
In stillness I see my faults, my attachments, my craziness, my illusion.
In stillness I see the vision of what is possible.


This is why I meditate. Not because it is 'spiritual' or because it is a required religious practice. I meditate because it brings peace and understanding to my life. I meditate because it brings me to the depth of who I AM. There is no special training required only the simple understanding that if we listen to our hearts we will realize that we already have the answer to the myriad of questions. We are a microcosm of the universe. We contain within ourselves all that we need: to be at peace, and to understand the world.

2 comments:

  1. Terry,
    I really enjoyed this post. Perhaps because I've been thinking about "listening" and "awareness" quite a bit as of late.
    We, as people, are often lead to believe that we hear only with our ears. However, my experiences, particularily those in the ocean, lead me to believe that like many creatures we can "hear" with our whole bodies. I believe that if we listen with our bodies, we can detect/hear the vibration of all things. Nowhere is this more evident to me than while freediving. From the oceans low frequency hum at the base of my stomach to the impossible to describe (by me anyway) detection of a seal or fish approaching from behind (perhaps we feel or hear the water as it is displaced much the same way Polynesian sailors can raise islands by reading their wave signatures?) the ocean speaks to me through my whole body.

    And what a conversation we're having!

    -D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!

    It is such an amazing adventure being present and open to the moment.

    On an overnight passage at sea, I dropped the sails and difted for a few hours to get some sleep. I figured I would be able to hear an approaching ship while adrift and still. Then only a few hours later I heard the sound of an engine screw, or was it that I felt it? It was like the distant voice of a whale. I got up really really fast and jumped outside expecting to see the bow of a freighter bearing down on me.

    There was nothing there.

    It took me a minute or two to find the light of the passing freighter, probably 5 miles away.

    ReplyDelete

 

free counters