Tuesday, January 5, 2010

down the rabbit-hole...

Whether it is a new twist in a relationship or a new adventure altogether there are times in life when we set out into the Unknown. These times are crucial to who we are. They are what bring in the new and scuttle the old. There is always that unsettling question of: How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? And of course: Do I have what it takes?


When I set out on my trip around the world there was a knot in my stomach, and stars in my eyes. I had imagined this moment in my mind for over 10 years. Yet the feeling of elation and intrigue and fear still surprised me. I floated down that final hallway and was acutely aware of my heart beat and I had to focus to not trip over my own feet as I boarded the plane. Finally, I was leaving! I was setting out on the grand adventure of a lifetime. I squeezed the arm rest on that airplane just to test if it was real, just to test if I was real. I squeezed just as hard on the memory of the goodbyes and promises for the future.

Think about your own life and times, when was the last time that you opened a door that led out into the field of infinite possibilities? I realize now that we have an opportunity to do this every day, in fact we can do it in every moment. I realize now that having jumped down the rabbit-hole that there is no going back. There are only new adventures waiting around every corner.

What is it that changes? Is it simply a matter of being open to the myriad of possibilities? Or does the thin egg shell of who we think we are get a new crack in it, revealing a dazzling and bright light beyond, every time we are willing to take the chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

free counters